How to Avoid Double Tax with the Foreign Tax Credit

Because paying tax once is bad enough.

Written by Stewart Patton

The foreign tax credit is probably the easiest to understand of the “Big Three” expat tax benefits (the other two of which are the foreign earned income exclusion and the foreign housing deduction/exclusion). However, there are definitely some misconceptions about how it works, and it can get a little complicated in certain situations.

So let’s discuss.

Before we go any further

Let’s first make sure this is a topic you even need to know about.

If you’re a digital nomad, travelling around spending less than 180 days in each country, then you’re probably not paying tax in any country outside the US. Click here for an article with more detail on how non-US tax works in this situation.

In that case, the foreign tax credit won’t do you any good. The foreign tax credit allows you to reduce your US tax bill dollar-for-dollar by the amount of non-US tax you pay. So, if you don’t pay any foreign tax at all, you don’t get (or need) any help from the foreign tax credit.

What sort of foreign taxes are we talking about anyway?

Only foreign income taxes. Not foreign gross revenue, sales, property, excise, or any other tax. It must be a tax that’s pretty much like the US federal income tax.

Some nuances here:

And what’s a credit exactly?

The powers that be actually did pretty good naming this tax term. If you pay a foreign tax, then you get credit against your US tax—you’re basically treated as already having paid that amount of US tax when you compute your final US tax bill.

Mechanically, your tax return first computes your adjusted gross income, and then you take out the standard deduction (or itemized deductions) and the personal exemption to reach taxable income, on which you compute the amount of tax you owe. Then, if you paid any tax for which you can claim a foreign tax credit, you simply reduce the amount of US tax you owe by the amount of foreign tax you paid.

Like this article? Click here to stay informed on the latest tax topics for global individuals who live or invest abroad.

Doesn’t this only work if there’s a treaty in place?

Nope. This is the biggest misconception with the foreign tax credit—many people think you can take a foreign tax credit only if the US has a treaty in place with the country in which you paid the foreign tax.

But that’s simply not the case at all. The foreign tax credit is a matter of US law—you don’t need to use the benefits of a treaty to claim it.

Then, the terms of the foreign tax credit don’t require there to be a treaty in place for a foreign tax to be creditable. As long as the requirements discussed above are met, then you can claim the foreign tax credit on your return.

Let’s look at an example

Say that you move to a country with an income tax, and you live there permanently, so you’re subject to their tax. Then, you earn $100 of income, and the country imposes a 30% tax rate on that item of income. So, when you do your tax return in that country (or earlier if there’s a withholding or estimated payment regime), you’ll have to pay a $30 tax to the foreign country on that income.

Now, when you do your US tax return for that same year, let’s assume that the US tax rate on that item of income is also 30%. So, your US tax return will compute that you also owe $30 of US tax on that $100 of income.

However, this is where the foreign tax credit saves the day. Because you paid $30 of tax to a foreign country on this same item of income, you get to reduce your US tax bill on this income by $30 (down to $0). Easy peasy.

Things obviously get more complicated if the rates are different:

Bottom Line: You’ll pay tax once at the highest rate

Unlike the foreign tax credit, the foreign earned income exclusion can reduce the absolute amount of your worldwide tax bill. For example, if you live in the US and have a job making under about $100,000 per year, then you’ll pay a bunch of US tax. But you can reduce your worldwide tax bill down to $0 by simply being a digital nomad and qualifying for the foreign earned income exclusion.

With the foreign tax credit, on the other hand, you only reduce your US tax bill by the amount of non-US tax you pay. So, you’ll always pay tax once, and the rate at which you pay is the higher of the foreign or US rate.

Should I use the foreign earned income exclusion or foreign tax credit?

If you’re not a digital nomad (i.e., you’re a tax resident of a non-US country) and you have foreign earned income (i.e., you have a job or work as a freelancer), then you may be wondering whether you should use the foreign earned income exclusion or the foreign tax credit on your income below about $100,000. The answer is . . .

It depends. Sorry, but it does.

There are some common situations where one is better than the other, and these are discussed in my online course Tax-Savvy Expat Entrepreneur. Click here to learn more.

What if I own my own business?

If you’re a digital nomad with a location-independent business, then this isn’t an issue you need to worry about. Neither you nor your business are subject to non-US income tax, so this issue just doesn’t come up.

However, if you plant yourself in a new country and have a business on the ground, then things can get a little complicated. Here are the three ingredients for this complicated scenario:

  1. You’ll probably operate your business through a legal entity (as opposed to just owning it in your own name) so you can have the liability protection and other benefits offered by using that structure.
  2. This legal entity will probably be classified as a corporation for US tax purposes—that’s the default treatment of almost all non-US legal entities.
  3. Finally, your resident country may impose an income tax on that legal entity (instead of, or in addition to, imposing an income tax on you personally).

You can take the foreign tax credit only for tax imposed on you. The tax here is imposed on your corporation, not you, so you can’t take a foreign tax credit for this tax.

Instead, the foreign tax essentially operates as a deduction.
You can generally avoid this result by electing for the non-US corporation to be “disregarded as an entity” separate from you for US tax purposes (or classified as a partnership if it has more than one owner). After that election, the entity’s income directly hits your US tax return, so you’re treated as paying the tax paid by the entity, meaning that you can now take the foreign tax credit.

Whether this election is a good idea in any particular circumstance requires a careful consideration of all relevant facts. It depends on the relative tax rates, absolute amount of income, and your plans for the money from this business. Click here if you have a situation like this and we can discuss the right way to go for you.

Ready to become an expert on this stuff? Click here to take the US Tax Masterclass for Americans Abroad (absolutely free).

Stewart Patton

I'm Stewart Patton, US tax attorney and expat entrepreneur based in beautiful Belize. Read more about me here, or email me at [email protected] to discuss how I can help.

U.S. Tax Services, P.O Box 2651 Belize City, Belize • Belize tel: (+501) 629-6007 • U.S. VOIP: (312) 675-8571 • Email: [email protected]

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service